Also check out Jehovahinbelize.blogspot.com for more experiences from Belize

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

“We should come home from adventures, and perils, and discoveries every day with new experience and character”

I was looking through my pictures of our travels through Honduras and Nicaragua trying to inspire myself to share a story that might be interesting or enjoyable to read.  Scanning the photos I came to realize why I felt I had no pictures that really capture the trip.  In the defining moments your either having to much fun to stop and take a picture, or on the other end of the spectrum, your far to frightened to pull your camera out.
It's been a minute I think since I've wrote about the trip, so here's a few things that are maybe defining me, and giving me strong feet.

Surfing in Nicaragua.  It was blown out, not so nice conditions, but man it felt good to be in the water.  Even though my novice skin got a killer rash and the currents and rips were a little scary; Ian stood up! So we have another surfer in the world.

Arriving in Tegucigalpa, Honduras at 11:00 PM, racing through the ghetto in the back of a taxi to our "motel" seriously hoping our taxi driver isn't going to kill us or pick up anyone else (all I see on the streets are prostitutes).  The motel in the middle of the city close to the bus stations, kind of feels like a prison.  You walk through the front gated door, down about 30 feet to the front desk, across a dingy lit courtyard, and into a room lit by a single light bulb with no windows and 3 locks on the door.  It was secure, which was a plus.  Natural light, not so much.


Walking through sketchy neighborhoods in Nicaragua to get to the Spanish meeting.  Then sitting down at the meeting and realizing how fast you were walking while simultaneously noticing that none of the fans in the hall are working and it happens to be the hottest month of the year.  I think I almost sweat through my tie that night.

Sharing in the ministry with the brothers in the different English groups in Nicaragua.  Seeing firsthand the zeal of other need greaters and locals learning foreign languages. I truly think the best way to walk the streets of a foreign city is out in service.  Not only do you get to see true life but you get to talk to the people as well.  A surprising amount of Nicaraguans are learning English.  Also you get to learn about and get to know your brothers.  The zeal infused group in Granada, 17 publishers strong, covering there entire territory, spanning Granada, in the campaign.  Scrunching in the back of there one pickup truck and giving a small helping hand was a joy.

Riding down the side of a volcano on a wooden board with a metal bottom.  I figured something for tourists wouldn't be that frightening but this wasn't just 100 foot slide.  You slid down the side of a volcano!  Good times; we just had to hike up and do it again.  Next time I'm going with one of the companies that have the boards you can stand on though.

Border crossings (sigh).  Oh we'll always remember the days with a border crossing.  Those are long tiring days.  And no I don't want to buy anything from your cart so you can quit ringing the bell.  We all see you standing right there! (Seriously this guy rang his bell continuously for minimum 20 minutes).  Playing ignorant and stubborn, the latter coming rather naturally, when border guards try to hit you with a "gringo" tax. Can't blame them for trying I guess.  They got me in Mexico.

Memorial with the Granada group with 65 in attendance. I sat next to a man who was studying named Pablo.  Pablo's been in jail in both the States and Nicaragua.  Aware it's time to change his life, he showed up at 6:30 AM for memorial.  When he realized his mistake, he came back again at 6:30 PM.  Pablo knows he needs to be there for his 9 year old daughter, 6 months ago he got beat up and stabbed.  But now he's taking a lot of positive steps in a better direction.

On our first day here we met a man who felt it was to much of a hassle to come to Mexico because he had to fill out a customs form and the people spoke Spanish.  After 3 months, here is what I think,  What an idiot!  I don't know what, if any, profound changes may have taken place in myself and Ian over the past few months.  Only time will tell.  But I can say it's been an adventure!

Ian doesn't know the birds are plotting an attack.

Ian shooting the curl! okay not quite but he's standing!

Volcano surfing, Cerro Negro

Need greaters in Leon

Spanish meeting w/English group in Granada

loading up the truck in Granada

And that is a monkey on the boat


2 comments:

  1. Loved your update... I am officially grossed out by you sweating through your tie! LOVE the dress for Violet! We can't wait for you to be home! You will not even recognize Vi. She is no longer a baby but a crazed toddler who says "Hi" with the sweetest high pitched squeal you ever did hear! Also, if you are eating and not sharing with her... she will crawl into your lap and do her best to open up your mouth to see exactly what you are eating! Can't wait to see the rest of your pictures! This blog has not had enough. Fly home safe.
    We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I'm not so sure you "change". I think that you might just be more hardened in what you thought before. Butthen again, seeing some things have to change you or you don't have a heart... so I suppose it could go either way. ;)

    ReplyDelete